Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Relapse?

About a month ago, my partner went to our doctor complaining of headaches, and the doc asked if she needed her to prescribe something for the pain. She refused, and told me about it later. She said she was surprised that the doc would suggest pain meds when she knows that's her drug of choice.

Then, Friday, she went back to the doctor with chest pains. I asked her to ask the doc about the last incident, and she did. The doctor told her that she would have prescribed a non-narcotic. THEN, the doctor offered to write her a scrip for the chest pain, which is apparently the result of an enlarged chest cavity, but NOT heart related. She went home with a prescription for Topomax.

That night, I went researching Topomax, and found out that it's an Opiod, which is the same thing as the Suboxone she had such a hard time coming off of. What I read said that it works the same way and that it can be addictive. So, of course, I started obsessing. I told her what my concerns were, like the difficulty she'd had coming off of her last opiod and the possiblity that taking this would "wake her tiger", and then I really let it go.

Today, she left work early to go home for her pain pills, and then was going to drive to therapy. I asked if she was supposed to drive while taking them. She said that she was supposed to wait to see how they affected her before driving. I told her that impaired people usually don't realize that they're impaired and she decided to go home.

I went to our couple appointment alone. The therapist was concerned about her having the prescription, and suggested that I hold the medication for her and suggest that she talk to her sponsor and her other therapist, who works in drug treatment. He also told me to ask her to count the pills with me. When I told her what the therapist said, she first said that his advice was bad for me because it was feeding my codependency. Then she told me that she has taken more than the prescribed dosage for the last 3 days, by taking 3 pills in the morning instead of 2. She said that she might as well go out and drink, b/c she was gonna have to pick up a white chip. She went through all kinds of rationalization with herself about whether or not it was a relapse, and told me that she knew she was rationalizing. I mostly just let her talk and reflected back for her.

She told me that she would talk to her sponsor, but that she wasn't willing to let me hold the pills. I told her that I'd need to talk to my sponsor and figure out what I needed to do to take care of myself, but that probably I'd find somewhere else to spend the night if she wanted to keep the pills and I'd see her tomorrow. I told her that I could live with one of 3 options- either I'd hold the pills for her and we could talk to her therapist tomorrow or she could call the therapist tonight or I'd find somewhere else to stay the night and she could keep the pills.

The confusing part for me is that she's actually right. Me being involved in her pills is a dangerous place for me to be with MY disease. But the therapist was right, too. I really didn't think that she was already taking more than prescribed, and if I hadn't followed his suggestion, I wouldn't have known about it and it probably would have escalated.

I don't know. Are any or all of us (me/partner/therapist) making a bigger deal of this than it really is? Or are any or all of us minimizing and rationalizing, and it's really a bigger deal? Should I worry about yet another doctor feeding her addiction? Right now, I feel pretty good about where we are with it for now. Stay tuned.

6 comments:

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Big, huge hugs, R. What a crappy situation. As I was reading the advice from the therapist about counting and holding the pills I was thinking about how triggering that must be for you. I can't be involved in that kind of monitoring because it makes me crazy.

joy said...

That is a sucky bunch of suckiness.

The only thing that stands out to me as really clear is that no, you don't have to worry about a doctor feeding her addiction. That's between her and the doctor, and that isn't your stuff. The rest of it is that awful murky place, though, where it isn't really clear what is yours and what's hers.

It sounds, though, like you're holding yourself together. I see the new you looking at the old you in your writing, and that's a good sign to me. I'm proud of you. I bet we'll talk soon. Yay!

Jay said...

Strictly medical comment here - Topomax is not an opioid. It doesn't cross-react with opiates. It can be used to treat withdrawal but that's for different reasons. It's not addictive in the same way. I have several patients currently on Topomax who are recently clean from various narcotic addictions.

R, please Email me privately if you want more info. The relationship management piece is much more complex and I don't have time to comment on it here - plus MPJ knows far more about that than I do - but if I can be helpful with some pharmacology, I'm here.

Recovery Discovery (R) said...

Oops, it was tramadol, not topomax.

Jay said...

Ah, then everything you said about it makes sense and I apologize.

ThisJane said...

oh I've been here and it's a terrible place. I have been so disappointed by the doctors that feed the addiction, it sends an incredible wave of hopelessness through me. My OPINION is that any pill should be avoided....the fact that she had headaches? and her first solution was a pill provided by a doctor? That in itself is a habit to break :)