Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Fear and Growth, my latest AFGO

So, I just finished posting about gratitude and being loved. And I AM. Both grateful, and loved. But I finished posting, and all of a sudden I realize that I've been feeling anxious this evening. You know, I'm really retarded when it comes to identifying, let alone labelling my own feelings. Which is really ironic considering the field that I'm in. But then not so ironic considering that a major reason I'm in this helping field is that it's a socially acceptable way of being codependent.

Anyway, the feeling is fear. And it has to do with change. I'm changing job positions, and not by choice. But then, when I think about it, this will be my 9th work location since moving to this town, and only 2 of those moves have been my choice. The last time I actually chose to move was about two decades ago. Literally! So, back to my good old 4th step. Why do I have this fear? It's a lack of trust. But I went to my new place today, and saw two people that I know and like from a previous place. And I'm reminded that change equals growth for me. And growth is a good thing for me.

My very favorite acronym I learned in a 12 step room is AFGO. That's Another F*&%ing Growth Opportunity. Isn't that a great expression? My choice would be to never move out of my comfort zone, which would mean never to grow. I guess this HP of mine is doing for me what I won't do for myself. And I'll survive this AFGO. I may even thrive!!

Thanks for letting me share.

3 comments:

joy said...

AFGO...that's another favorite thing. I'm putting it in my backpack full of favorite things.

Recovery Discovery (R) said...

Yeah, isn't it a great expression? Nobody ever wants to have an AFGO, hence the F@&*ing part. But you (or at least I) ALWAYS grow from them. BTW, my new favorite, which I use all the time now, is your "bucket of shit" expression.

joy said...

We both know that's not properly my expression...I've just colonized it in internet-land.

Time for a new post. I'm not a very patient reader.