Sunday, August 26, 2007

Meltdowns

I had two meltdowns today. I've been stressing. I just finished the first week of a new job, and next week is going to be an even bigger transition. I've also pretty much singlehandedly put together a wedding shower for my partner's daughter this weekend, and we entertained her soon-to-be mother-in-law(STBMIL) for the weekend. So, I was exhausted, stressed, and in the let down phase after a big event.

Anyway, my first meltdown was over a book case. My new office is really pretty, but much smaller than I'm used to, and there really isn't room for all my stuff. I've been asking my partner for help in fixing up an old bookcase, and while she tried once, it's just not happening. She told me we'd do it this afternoon after the shower and entertaining was over. Well, she's doing 90 in 90, and had missed the last two days because of the events going on. This afternoon, we got up early to take STBMIL to the airport, then picked up the bride and groom to take them out. Then my partner went to play kickball on team-addict. Then she came home and crashed. When it was time to work on my bookshelf, she had to leave to go hit two meetings. I got hysterical. I tried to keep the feelings from her, b/c I know it's a really good thing that she's doing 90 in 90. It just feels like again, I'm last on the totem pole. Plus, I've tried to do the damn bookshelf myself, and I can't, and I'm feeling really incompetent. Plus, my office really should be ready tomorrorw, and I've got two boxes of books and nowhere to put them. And really, I'm stressing about whether I'm up to this job. BLEH!!

Then comes meltdown #2. This one has been a long time coming. I've been feeling so trapped in the middle between my family of choice and my family of origin. My mother always manages to find some excuse about why there's no room for my family at any given time and event. The most recent thing was room at her beach house next weekend. Meanwhile, there's this wedding that I'm a major financial contributor to and none of my family of origin is invited. This weekend, I'm hearing from the STBMIL about her husband's family who are all coming, and my parents are not invited. Then, this evening, my mom was all nice for a change about including my family and then she started asking about wedding plans. I'm hemming and hawing because she's not invited, and meanwhile, she's offering to sponsor a brunch for the out of town guests. I'm great at keeping my defenses up when people are mean, but when they're nice, I turn to mush. So I ended up sobbing to my mom about how trapped in the middle I'm feeling about the whole thing, and the nicer my mom was, the more I lost it.

Tomorrow starts the real phase of my new job. I'm a mess and so is my office. I still have 2 boxes of books with nowhere to put them. And I'm really worried that I'm not going to be good enough in this position.

3 comments:

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

I have totally had meltdowns over feeling last -- even to his 12-step program. I always feel guilty and stupid melting down because he's getting healthy, but so it goes...

joy said...

We were just having a meltdown yesterday about me being last. You and I seem to be sharing some kind of meltdown schedule. It's good to know that you're not alone, right?

But hey, if you need some help with that bookshelf still, how 'bout you call someone local to come help you out? I'm around, and I've got a stinkin-ass unemployed husband who can be useful for things where I might feel incompetent as well.

So call me!

And you are, you know, wonderfully competent. I bet the job is going to go really well.I'll be sending you good vibes today.

Anonymous said...

Wow, the being last to recovery thing. I know this from the other side. My ex was always trying to get me to go to meetings and get in recovery. Then when I started going and started to make friends and spend some time with them, she was pissed off, hurt, and jealous. She never went to Al-Anon and we didn't have Nar-Anon in Mpls.
Go to your meeting and share about it there. Many of you have had those feelings. Get some help and listen to some E,S, and H from your predecessors. Do it now because this is absolutely DEADLY to a relationship. Go there and share and work your program, my friend.
I can guarantee that your gf does not mean to have you feel that you are anything but first in her life. It's a tough balance to find for us.
As for the rest about family and chosen family????? I feel for you. My family has always been totally cool, but I have been with people and have friend's whose family's aren't. I'm so sorry. I know this pain.
And this? "I'm really worried that I'm not going to be good enough in this position."
This is probably making everything else in your life bigger right now. You are in "not good enough mode" -- for your partner; your family of origin, and your new job.
You are and you will be.
Love to you,
Scout
P.S. Call JW.