Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Sponsor

I'm going to be a sponsor. Someone asked me after our meeting where we talked about working the 12th step. My first reaction was fear. This is someone with years in the program. She has had multiple sponsors and is a sponsor herself. They say that what you should look for in a sponsor is someone who has what you want. My worry was that she has way more that I want than I could ever have what she wants. Whenever she shares in meetings, it helps me. I don't know if I've got what she needs. But then, I decided that it's not up to me to decide what she wants. It's up to me to decide about my own willingness. I'm willing, and she says she wants this. So, after the holidays, we're getting started. Anyone with ESH to share on being a sponsor, I'd love to hear it.

4 comments:

joy said...

being a sponsor seems fun! you'll do great. that's my wisdom.

Anonymous said...

you already know what i think.
and a sponsor is primarily and foremost, a guide through the Steps. So be the greatest guide you can be. She wants what you have that she doesnt have -- its something. Just believe and do.
Love you.

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Wow, R. You go! I think now that you are a sponsor, you are officially fixed. You can tell people who think you are codependent to shut up. :)

Mantramine said...

Hmm. I always wanted someone to ask me to be their sponser, but they never did.

It's okay. I'm not a jealous codependent