Wednesday, November 21, 2007

becoming entirely ready

My writing workshop is on step 6. We did 5 last week. We were all resistent, feeling like we couldn't do it good enough, and then we all said very similar things. We all knew that the others weren't so bad, so maybe we weren't either. Magic!!

But of course, we were supposed to be ready to share Step 6 last week, and like the good little codie I am, I did the writing for it, even though I wasn't really finished with 5 and was in the middle of tantrumming, not a great place to become entirely ready to have God remove all defects of character.

I think it's the word, entirely, that's tripping me up. Sounds like I gotta do it perfect, and trying to be perfect is what trips me up all the time. I wanna change the language. I want it to say "were becoming ready." I could live with "were becoming entirely ready." There I go again, trying to tell recovery how to do it right.

But maybe it's like MPJ's turkey dilemma or what NA says about reservations.

My book has an analogy about bungee jumping. It said you may be all dressed and have all the facts about safety and even all the confidence in the operators, but you won't jump until you're ready.

Today, I can't say that I'm entirely ready. But at least I'm thinking about it.

2 comments:

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

My character defects are as tasty as turkey -- I'm holding onto them. Besides, I'm not codependent, I'm just really good at problem solving!

Mantramine said...

when you're ready, and not a "gaad damn second sooner" as my pappy always says.