Friday, September 26, 2008

$5,000

My partner procrastinated on something, and it looks like it's going to cost her daughter $5,000. She'd been asked to send in her tax returns to the financial aid office. The school hasn't been really firm with the boundary. First they said that her daughter may not be able to register for fall classes. The boundary kept getting pushed. Today, her daughter called crying saying that the deadline was today at 5pm and it'll cost her $5,000. It's now done, and I don't know if it's too late. I also don't know how I feel about it. I don't want my stepdaughter to pay for my partner's mistake, particularly in her senior year. But I don't want to pay for it either.

I'm working on a balance between compassion and detachment. I'm trying to stay on my side of the street. I'm trying to stay in today. And I'm trying to trust that whatever happens as a result of this will be for my stepdaughter's, my partner's and my best.

2 comments:

Jade said...

That sounds like a hard place to be. In thinking how I would feel if it were my family, I'd be terribly torn between minding my own business and helping my step-daughter. I think I'd have some difficulty if I were there.

I hope your family gets what it needs ...

Mantramine said...

That is a tough one r, but I think you are making a good decision to 'stay clean' with it. They will work it out, I have faith in them, and you.