Saturday, September 13, 2008

Stepping it Up again

I went to a new (for me) OA meeting this morning. I have this love/hate relationship with OA. It's taken me forever to identify myself as a compulsive overeater in those rooms. The format of this meeting is 12 and 12. They read and discuss the steps and traditions, rotating back and forth. Apparently, last week they finished tradition 12, so today, we started with Step 1.

Meanwhile, I've started another step study group online, and where are we this week? You guessed it, Step 1.

I'm getting pretty comfortable with my naranon issues, and getting much better at being able to look at myself when I'm working the steps of Naranon. But I've found that when I'm in OA meetings, I tend to focus on the Naranon/Codependency issues rather than my compulsive overeating, even to the point of being unwilling to self identify as a compulsive overeater.

So I made a committment in my OA meeting, and I'm putting it out here to, in order to hold myself accountable. This week, when I'm doing my writing about Step 1, I am going to be intentional about including my compulsive overeating. So, everybody, I'm R, I'm Codependent, I'm a Lesbian, AND I'm a compulsive overeater.

7 comments:

Rae said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rae said...

Good luck with your Step 1. I am in Al-Anon, SLAA and like you struggle to get myself into OA. I don't have a problem admitting I'm a compulsive overeater. I've got that one conquered. It's the taking responsibility for myself, turning it over to my Higher Power and doing the next right thing in OA that is difficult. I look forward to reading your shares on this journey.

Jade said...

You know, R, I just love you. I love that you hold yourself accountable, and that you're so committed to yourself.

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Love you, R! If I'm honest with myself, I have to admit I am an overeater too, but I'm just not ready to do the work around that yet. Love and hugs to you!

Aly said...

This was inspirational, you should be proud of who you are and its amazing that youre working towards recovery!

Recovery Discovery (R) said...

Thanks, everybody! I'm feeling really good today. I appreciate all of the validation and empathy!!!

Mantramine said...

Hi R!

I love all the shiny petals of your colorful flower!