Thursday, January 24, 2008

Don't Be Alone, Use the Phone

I used to call the way we end our live naranon meetings ("don't be alone, use the phone") the great lie of naranon. Everybody was willing to accept naranon calls, but nobody, including me, was willing to make them.

I've been actively practicing the tool of using the phone recently, and it's come through for me in a big way this week. At first, I'd call people and tell them I was just practicing. I announced in a meeting last week that I intended to call the people in my 12-step writing group, and I did. One of my friends in the writing workshop and I have taken to calling each other at least a few times a week. Then, Monday, when I was having a rough night, I started using my phone list. When one person wasn't available, I called another. The person I ended up talking to was not someone I call regularly, but she was incredibly helpful. Today, she called and left a warm hug on my voicemail. Then, when I didn't make a 3rd meeting in a row this week, my sponsor called, just to check on me. Yep, it works when you work it.

3 comments:

Mantramine said...

Ah, you are a braver woman than I

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Yay, R!

Anonymous said...

That's why NA calls it the 1000 pound telephone --those calls are so, so hard to make. Great job, woman!