Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Kidney Stone

Apparently, I've been jealous of the collection of hospital bracelets everyone in my household has been getting in the last month, so last night I decided to get one of my own. During my Naranon meeting, I was having a weird pain in my lower back that was so intense at times that it was making me vomit. I ended up having a friend bring me to the hospital, where I was diagnosed with a 6 mm kidney stone. They say that that is really large, and it's unlikely that I'll be able to pass it on my own. To make things even more fun, I'm allergic to sulfa drugs, which means I can't take the medicine that would help my urinary tract. Sigh.

I'm proud of myself for speaking up and not suffering in silence, and for going straight to the hospital. (Of course, my original plan was to wait out the meeting and then go home if I was feeling ok.) But I did ask for and accept help.

I'm grateful that my partner is in a good place. She was really present and supportive. I'm a bit nervous about having narcotics in my house, but I'm trying to turn that over. As my sponsor says, if she ends up relapsing, I can trust that God has plans for more research for her.

5 comments:

Wait. What? said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear this - I hope you get to feeling better soon. Do you have to have it operated on to get it out? Oh my gosh it sounds painful!

MargauxMeade said...

Oh, R, I'm sorry. A couple of my friends and family members have had kidney stones, so I have an idea of how sucky and painful they are. Hope you start feeling better soon.

Jay said...

Ow, ow, ow. Big but gentle hugs. Drink lots of water, and feel better soon.

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Take care of yourself, babe. (But it sounds like you are already doing a good job of that. Yay you!) :)

MargauxMeade said...

P.S. I gave you an "honesty award." Check out today's post on my blog.