Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Taking Care of Ourselves

My partner led her meeting last night. Who'da thunk? She said that the topic was honesty, particularly honesty in relationships, and she shared how she'd always thought of herself as an honest person. She said that if someone asks her a direct question, she'll always tell the truth, even if it gets her in trouble. She said that she even thought she was being honest during active addiction because I never asked if she was using so she didn't lie to me. She talked about coming to understand that she has developed a habit of not sharing the whole truth, and she's willing to work on that. These are things she's shared with me recently. It was really cool to hear that she took such a leadership role in her meeting and that she's affirming her plan to work on this issue by sharing it with more than just me. She seems to be in a really good place right now.

Meanwhile, Scout seems to have cyber-shared her germs with me. Thanks, Scout! I actually stayed home and took care of myself today. It's weird how much of a struggle it is for me to let myself take a sick day. But, for today, I'm practicing self-care. Think I'll go make myself some Matzah Ball Soup.

3 comments:

joy said...

I hope you're feeling better soon, and I'm glad she's sounding so strong! That's a great place to be...I'm actually, suddenly, jealous.

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Hope you're feeling better soon! And good for you for taking a sick day!

You know, your partner sounds so much like my husband -- in many ways in active addiction, he was scrupulously honest, but at the same time he was not telling the whole truth. (And sometimes he did flat out lie.) But those half-truth lies are killers...

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes, the good ol' lies of omission....handy lil' buggers they are.
I am glad to see she is in the middle of the pack and taking on some service. She's doing well, RD.
Sorry about the sickness I gave you. Where is my soup? I have been waiting by the door.
Love,
Scout