Friday, October 19, 2007

Magic in the Rooms

Last night, I went to a meeting and started out kinda resenting the fact that the room was full of so many newcomers who just didn't get it. I had a burning desire, but didn't want to share it, because I figured the people in the room just wouldn't get it. (And no, visitor from out of state, I am NOT referring to you.) Somebody shared her own burning desire and opened it up to anyone to start. The person who started was somebody with very little time in the room, giving advice. The next person, was there for the second time. Last week, she had refused to go to the newcomers meeting b/c she's "a teacher and she knows this stuff." She went into the WWJD routine, and I was cringing. But then, all of a sudden, in the last go round, I saw this beautiful journey in the room. The brand new, very raw newcomer, the person with a couple months in the program just coming to terms with addiction as a disease, the woman who came back after her first week last week, and is struggling with everyone throwing around the word, addict, so comfortably. Everybody's on their own journey, and there really is magic in the room, when I'm willing to see it.

2 comments:

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

R, this is so beautiful. I had to stop going to meetings because (in part) I got too frustrated with wanting to fix people. I love that you are seeing the progress in others and appreciating it.

joy said...

R said some stuff at that meeting that made me see the magic happening, too. It was great to end on that little outburst of positivity...