Sunday, October 14, 2007

triggered, and growth

So I was sharing with my partner this morning about some of my most recent insecurities and confusions in this virtual world and she got triggered. We were snuggling, talking, and she got quiet and then bolted out of bed. The topic was just too much for her. My head knew it wasn't about me, but my feelings got hurt anyway. Both of us are making progress though. I was able to ask for reassurance. She was able to tell me that it's not about me. (Yeah, I know this, but I still need to hear it.) I was able to tell her that it would really help me if/when she can share with me in an intentional dialogue, but if she can't, I'll understand. GROWTH.

3 comments:

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

It's so hard not to feel hurt, even when you know, intellectually, it's not about you. I have been struggling so much with this lately myself. But it really is all about growth -- progress not perfection, right? I've been all pissy and not willing or able to see growth in my own life lately -- thanks for the reminder.

joy said...

When this happens to me, I get all, "YOU DON'T GET TO BE TRIGGERED BY ME!"

I guess that's bad...

Anonymous said...

I am lost -- what triggered her? I don't get it.