Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Therapy, pulling our own weight

I love our couples therapist!

He usually starts sessions asking us what our desire is for the session. Usually, my partner looks to me to bring something (a desire for the session) and usually I have plenty of desires. I'll often ask her for one first, and if she doesn't have one, I'll share. Today, I said that I have something to talk about, but that what my greatest desire for the day was to hear what my partner's desire was first. She didn't come up with anything.

He did an exercize to demonstrate why it's important for each of us to carry our own weight. He had each of us take turns trying to physically hold the other one up, with one person in the relationship going limp in the other's arms. Then he had us stand up on our own, facing each other with our hands touching. He'd have one of us push or withdraw or just touch lovingly, and showed how when we were standing on our own, we naturally matched each other's energy. It was a really good visual and kinesthetic way of demonstrating how important it is.

Geesh, I started this post last Wednesday, and haven't written anything since. It's been a really hard, hard week, professionally, personally, and relationship"y". I thought last week's session went so well, but my partner sure didn't. Today's seemed bad to me. It's sooooo hard when we're both in a bad place.

I'm exhausted. I'm a mess. She's a mess. BLEH!!!!!

4 comments:

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

I hear you. I have been in exhausted and in a bad place lately too. Maybe we'll be able give each other a little boost this weekend. :)

Mantramine said...

Bad places are yucky, and relationships are hard work. Maybe you should go to McDonalds, cause I think you need a break today. You get a big smile and hug from me

Wayward Son said...

You might be tired. You might be in a bad place. But all of that is, as you know, temporary so you can hardly be a mess. Banish such thoughts before they decide to stay!

I love those this-is-what-it-feels like exercises. Have you ever watched Nanny 911? She always ends up making the daddy walk around for the day with an extra fifty pounds strapped on while he watches the kids. They should call that show Nanny Genius.

joy said...

Yuck to yuckiness. I'm all behind in reading, but I'm getting caught up tonight. I've missed a post where you needed an uplifting comment! I'm sorry! I'll try harder! I'll do better! Please love me!