Saturday, October 20, 2007

not going

We were supposed to be travelling this weekend to be at the unveiling of my grandmother's tombstone. Meanwhile, my stepdaughter's wedding is this week, and we have lots to do to get ready. And I'm still in the middle of the "am I being displaced at work" crisis of 07. I've been agonizing back and forth about whether to travel for the unveiling. My partner has been really supportive about it overall, and has been committed to going, in spite of all that's going on in both of our worlds. I know that she really didn't want to go, especially this weekend, and that she was suiting up and showing up for me in a major and significant way. We were finally packed and ready to go at 10pm last night for a 5 hour trip. I was carrying suitcases to the car, and decided that it really wasn't a good idea for us to go. We just have way too much going on in both of our lives right now. I know it was the right decision. We're both relieved. I know my grandmother will understand. Honestly, I'm glad it was me who decided not to go. I'm grateful that my partner was willing, even though it was putting a lot of pressure on her. It was a huge gift that she was willing to give me. Tomorrow, I'll say a prayer for my grandmother. Today, in the midst of all that's going on in our lives, I will express my gratitude.

2 comments:

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

I'm glad that you were able to make that decision and that you were able to take care of yourself, rather than feeling you "had to" do everything. That's huge.

Anonymous said...

Glad u stayed for you.....
About previous post ------

You can detach and still provide feedback, R. The difference is that you detach from trying to run her. If she ASKS you to take a step off your curb and offer her some help, then you give it to her in the areas it seems appropriate to do so. She needs you! And detachment doesn't mean leaving her to "fend for herself."
I'll give you more in email if you wish.

Peace,
Scout